Ketchikan Public Utilities (KPU) strives at all times to respect a customer’s desire for privacy. We obtain and use individual customer information for business purposes only. The information is used to enable us to provide our customers with the best service and support possible. Customer information may also be used to protect customers, employees and property against fraud, theft, or abuse and to maintain good customer relations. We do not release customer information to third parties – except as required by law or to protect the safety of customers, employees or property. Some examples include:
- We are required to release the information if served with valid legal process.
- We are required to provide billing name and address information to a customer’s long distance carrier and other telephone companies to allow them to bill for telecommunications services.
- We are required to provide directory publishers with listing information including name, address, and phone number for purposes of publishing and delivering directories.
- We strive to ensure that the information we obtain and use is accurate. Customers who find an error in their bills are encouraged to notify us.
- Our employees are responsible for safeguarding individual customer information and communications. All personnel are aware of and protect the privacy of all forms of customer communications and information. Employees who fail to follow safeguards face disciplinary action.
All information that KPU obtains through the use of our website (https://www.city.ketchikan.ak.us/public_utilities/) and other owned domains) is used for internal purposes only. We do not release this information to any third parties except as required by law. Any information asked for on our website will only be used to process your request.
One exception to the above policy is that we share a customer’s first and last name and e-mail address with Google via the Google Apps Partner Edition Service through our re-seller NeoNova Network Services, Inc. in order to provide email and other services.
Any data shared with Google via the Google Apps Partner Edition Service, as per our contract with NeoNova Network Services, Inc. is not allowed to be shared with any third parties. All subscriber and customer data remains solely the property of KPU. In addition, when a customer uses e-mail or other Google services, the customer may purposefully provide information to be shared with others – e.g., to let others view photos stored in Picassa. It is up to the customer to decide which data is provided and stored by Google. Detailed information about how Google protects customer’s privacy is given at http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=60762. Where that page refers to a “domain administrator”, that entity is Ketchikan Public Utilities.
Even though we will use our best efforts to assure privacy and confidentiality, material on the web, email, or other electronic communications cannot be guaranteed to be Protected against access by unauthorized persons. Access by unauthorized persons can be obtained without your consent or our consent. This is simply a function of the technology in today’s environment.
If you have any questions about this policy or believe that it has not been followed, please contact us at 907-228-5474.